Start from the Lord Milner Hotel at the heart of the village.
Next door to the Lord Milner, to the west, is the Lairds's Arms, full of the warmth and character of an English country pub. There are historic photographs here of Jimmy Logan, the ardent cricketer and probably the greatest patron the sport has ever known in this country.
Further along Logan Street one comes to a trio of semi-detched buildings of which the post office is the centre. The post office first opened in 1897 and now also serves as the village newsagent and gift shop.
To the left of the post office is the Olive Schreiner Cottage, once the simple dwelling she rented from the Laird and, to the right, is the Old Museum Suite. Past a small lane is the main village office, once the chambers of the African Banking Corporation.
What used to be Logan's general store has been converted into the Coffee House, serving fresh coffee and quenchers as well as superb home made scones, koeksister and toasted sandwiches. Next door is probably the oldest building in Matjiesfontein, Logan's original Masonic Lodge now called Die Losieshuis.
Beyond is Tweedside Lodge with Eyebank Cottage and a tall square building that once houses the village's flour mill and soda bottling plant in its grounds.
Tweedside was the home of J.D. Logan's grandson, Major JOhn Buist and his wife into the 1990's.
To the east of the Lord Milner is Reston Villa, once the residence of Logan's son and his wife and two step-children. Turning the corner and walking down towards the Baviaans (also called Monument) River, first on the left is the old court house dating from 1897 - the site of the trial of Boer hero Gideon Scheepers.
Opposite is the Transport Museum next to Logan's historic cricket pitch. Further on is the 'old kirk', built in 1895 as a school and concert hall. On the river bank is the old Police station with jagged glass still embedded in its high walls. This was home to David Rawdon, the latter day Laird.
Embraced within and behind the 'L' which forms the two main streets of Matjiesfontein is a large open square of gardens. The Traveller's Chapel flanks the stone steps leading down to the river causeway. The other side of the often dry riverbed you will find the Raymond Crowley gardens, an orchard and a graveyard.
Across the road from the Lord Milner is the 'new' station which opened in December 1890. Due to the march of technology this is no longer operational and now houses the Marie Rawdon Museum (named after David's mother). This has a vast collection of historic pieces including and entire Victorian chemists shop, numerous Boer War relics and many artefacts of local significance. Adjacent are the now redundant manual signals box and station master's office.