This is a well-preserved example of an early 19th century Cape Dutch H-shaped house. The exact date the house was built during the ownership of Johannes Jacobus Gerber who owned the property from 1819 to 1831 is unknown. The building has a simple pediment front gable with pilasters that are continued downward flanking the front door. The end gables are “holbol” type with double steps at the base of the top segment. Above the door is a first rate fanlight.
After many changes of ownership the S A Government acquired it in July 1916 for the official residence of the Magistrate and it was then that the building acquired the name “The Residency” which it remained until 1978 when it became the annex to Reinet House.
There are five rooms of displays: 1899-1902 Anglo Boer War room with interesting articles and photographs, a collection of sporting rifles, DMR Memorabilia of the Second World War, a Music Room filled with vintage and antique instruments and a display of local rafts from the region.
The Graaff-Reinet Museums are so understaffed that they cannot embark on genealogical research when visitors request immediate assistance. Please make an appointment well in advance (not the day before) so that we can arrange for someone to assist and give our undivided attention.